Alcopa (short for ‘Albert & Constance Participation’) is a family-owned company based near Antwerp, in Belgium. Its origin dates back to 1937 when Albert Moorkens and his wife Constance set up a company in the production and and distribution of motorcycles. Today, Alcopa employees over 2.000 employees spread in more than 19 countries in 6 Lines of Business (LOB) with different geographic footprint and scope. The areas in which Alcopa is currently active are “Import and distribution”, “Parts”, “Building materials”, “Trading”, “Real Estate” & “Retail”.
- The customer contacted us for this migration end of August. They needed to be in AWS before Christmas.
- Some servers could not be reinstalled because software installation media were missing.
- Many SQL backend servers served different applications and development streets.
- Cut-over times had to be very limited.
The solution designed by Cloudar for Alcopa was developed with High-Availability, Scalabality & Security in mind, all built up from a well-architected core:
- AWS Discovery Agent was used to create a full inventory and prepare the migration.
- Because many vm’s could not be reinstalled, we used DoubleTake (now Carbonite) Move to replicate to AWS. This creates an identical copy of the source server and limits cut-over time.
- Expensive Citrix Load Balancers were replaced by relatively inexpensive AWS ELB’s.
- VPC Peering was used to connect to an existing SAP CRM environment. A Direct Connect with VPN fallback was put in place to guarantee connectivity and reduce latency.
- The entire platform is fully managed 24/7 by Cloudar
We also made use of a number of AWS technical partner solutions:
- DoubleTake (now Carbonite) was used to replicate/migrate servers to AWS
- CloudCheckr© was used to ensure the setup complied with AWS best practices and to ensure ongoing compliance once the solution was in production.
- Site24x7© was used in conjunction with AWS CloudWatch to ensure optimal performance across all environments.
- Veeam N2WS was used to guarantee reliable backups and enabled us to create a solid disaster recovery plan for Alcopa